Monday, January 31, 2011
Thursday, January 27, 2011
Monday, January 24, 2011
Saturday, January 22, 2011
-I love the concept of making a different crochet block every week and then sewing them together into an afghan when I’ve got enough.
-In the spirit of helping me get organized, I’d love to make a day planner like this one.
-This year I’m turning 25 (I’ve been trying to forget about that). I guess I should make a list of 25 things to do before I’m 25. Check out Tabitha's list.
I almost forgot! The Hubby and I have decided on our word for the year. We really want to live on purpose instead of coasting through. For that reason, we've decided that 2011 is going to be all about living intentionally. Our first intentional act this week was to redo our budget so that we could see where our money has been going, and where we are going to put it. Our priorities in life are the things we put the most time and money into. We as a family want our priorities to be clearly identified, so we're trying to clear out the clutter from our home, from our bodies, and from our minds.
This will be an amazing year of growth and changes, and we're all excited for where God brings us. I hope you all have an amazing weekend! We're headed to visit my sister for her birthday!
until next time,
...well actually you're my only sister, but you're still my favourite.
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Saturday, January 15, 2011
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Monday, January 10, 2011
Tuesday, January 4, 2011
1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
Completing my first year of culinary school with top grades!
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Living on complete trust that God would provide for us, and relying on our church and food bank in order to survive.
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
B and I both found job almost immediately after we started looking for them.
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
Just before Christmas, I got in my very first car accident. Nothing serious, but the car was in the shop getting fixed for about a week.
5. Pick three words to describe 2010.
Trust, Relationships, Thankfulness
6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2010 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you).
Baking, Strength, Determined
7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2010 (again, without asking).
Completion, Uncertainty, Change
8. What were the best books you read this year?
-And the Shofar Blew (Francine Rivers)
-Redeeming Love (Francine Rivers)
-Think Like a Chef (Tom Colicchio)
-Why I Need You (Gregory E. Lang)
-Debt-Free Forever (Gail Vaz-Oxlade)
9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
-My husband. He loves me in the good and bad days, and he always apologizes first when we fight.
-Alysha, who knows me and still wants to spend time with me...
-Janis, who makes me smile and laugh, and who I think of first whenever I see hippo anything...
-Kim, who I've learned so much from, and who I was blessed to be able to help with her kids...
-My mother. I don't know what I would do without her...
10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
I stopped making excuses for my mistakes. I face up to things I've done without trying to blame someone other than myself.
11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
B and I went to a marriage seminar in the spring. The course really taught me how the things my husband says have different meanings to me than they do to him, so I learned to put my emotions aside and really listen to what he was trying to say, instead of assuming I already knew what he meant. (It's a work in progress, but last night, our "argument" lasted only a couple minutes instead of the whole night, so I really think we're getting it!!)
12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
We as a family learned what complete trust in God was. We had no money, and no idea how we would pay our bills, but God got us through 4 extremely lean months at the beginning of the year, and we all grew closer to Him in that time.
13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
I lost about 10lbs early in the year, and I can do more pushups now than I've ever been able to do!
14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
I let myself become vulnerable, and opened up to new friends. We started having people over for games nights and for dinners so that we could really grow in our relationships with people from church and school and work.
15. What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
The constant ability to learn and challenge myself, whether that was with deadlines, or with learning new recipes, or just studying the processes of baking.
16. What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
The hours. Working midnights made sleeping hard, and made maintaining relationships really hard.
17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Facebook, TV, and computer games (so basically, the computer)
18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
Wednesday morning Coffee Break from January to April helped to recharge me, and throughout the summer and fall, we as a family were able to serve a friend in need for a few hours every week.
19. What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
I am a strong, determined, competent, talented woman who can maintain a home well, even when I'm the only adult doing it.
20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2010 for you.
Saturday, January 1, 2011
Happy Twenty-Eleven! (and Merry Christmas to everyone, Happy Anniversary to my parents, Happy Birthday to 2 of my brothers and 2 of my aunts!)