Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What I'm Loving this Wednesday (recipes!!)

I'm loving... family days. Especially because this week, with the snow day today, we've had two!

I'm loving... cleaning with my husband. I love how tangible our partnership is as we work side by side, whether it's dishes, or cleaning...

I'm loving... how happy my little man is AFTER he has an afternoon nap. And I'm loving that he had a great nap today.

I'm loving... playing board games with my hubby (and beating him terribly!).

I'm loving... that cooking all day makes the house nice and warm.

I'm loving... my amazing hubby who has been so gentle and patient with our monkey all day. I fall in love with him over and over on days like these.

I'm loving... when my little man comes up to me and says "Hug please Mommy!"...and when he dresses himself (currently he's wearing an argyle sweater and khaki shorts - backwards)

I'm loving... Valentines Day crafts. Usually it's not my favourite day, but this year I'm feeling exceptionally excited for all the reds and pinks and hearts...

And Lastly....

I'm loving... banana pancakes, and eggs benedict where the hollandaise sauce won't give you a heart attack!

Banana Pancakes:
-serves 6-
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1Tbsp vegetable oil

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1 banana sliced thinly

butter for frying

In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, egg, yogurt and oil. Beat until combined.

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.

Add the dry ingredients and the banana to the wet ingredients. Stir until just mixed. (It will be lumpy)

Heat your frying pan, add butter and let it melt. Then scoop about 1/4 cup batter per pancake into the hot pan. Cook until edges begin to brown, then flip and cook the other side.

*As a family, we loved these pancakes. I added a little extra milk because the batter was a bit thicker than I like. My son and I ate them without syrup. They can also be served with more banana slices and whipped cream.* (recipe found here)


Easy Eggs Benedict
-serves 4-

4 cups water
2 tsp white vinegar
4 large eggs

2 Tbsp Mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
2 Tbsp plain yogurt
1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1/4 tsp lemon juice
pinch Paprika

2 Plain English Muffins, split
4 slices deli ham (about 3 oz)

Pour water and vinegar into a medium pot and bring to a simmer (bubbles are breaking the surface but it's not boiling) Give the water a slight stir before gently cracking one egg into the water (the stir will help the egg fold over themselves) Cook each egg for 2-3 minutes until the whites are cooked and the yolks are done how you like them. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon.

While the eggs cook, combine mayo, yogurt, mustard, lemon juice and paprika in a small bowl.

Toast English muffin halves. Place 1 ham slice on each muffin half. Place eggs on ham. Spoon yogurt mixture over eggs. Enjoy!

*I'm a huge fan of this. I didn't feel heavy like after eating real hollandaise sauce, and the sauce is really nice. You can also go low fat with the yogurt and the mayo. Mustard is almost calorie free, so this is a light breakfast option! One of my new favourites!* (recipe found here)



~A


What I'm Loving Wednesday is linked up to Jamie!

1 comment: