Tuesday, December 7, 2010

That's why they call it "Buyers Remorse"

Less than 24 hours from when my husband told me he wanted to spend less time on the computer and more time "unplugged", I forgot completely about the whole conversation and we purchased a Wii AND a TV...

And now the regret is sinking in.

Questions are running through my head:
Why did I really get the Wii? Was it for him, or was it because I've wanted one for so long?
Did we really need to get a new TV? Why didn't we check Kijiji first?
Should we bring them both back? Or should we just bring back the TV?
Why did we waste so many hours tonight shopping for a TV?
Can't we just keep them both? It would be so much easier...

So many questions, yet the answer that keeps coming is "You silly, silly girl. Things will never satisfy you when what you're really longing for is closeness with me."

So tomorrow we're returning the TV. I'm still weighing the pros and cons of keeping the Wii. I had mentioned it to our babysitter, and since her family has been dreaming of a flat screen TV for Christmas, she offered her old TV to us if they get a new one. A free TV is much better on the pocketbook than one we have to pay off over a few months...

I've learned some lessons from this:
1. I've always wondered what it would be like to be more impulsive and how I would feel if I could just spend whatever money I wanted... Now I know that I feel much better when all my purchases are planned and needed. Impulsivity is not an attribute I want to emulate.
2. Just because a gift would be a really nice and fun thing for my family (and just because I've wanted it for a while) doesn't mean that I need to get it at the first chance it's on sale.
3. I'm really glad that my husband and I can talk about everything. Even if it means that I can never keep a surprise...
4. My 2 year old is not the only one who throws temper tantrums...Even if I'm not crying and throwing myself on the floor, I can behave in the same selfish manner.


And as my husband said tonight, "That's why they call it 'buyers remorse'. "

~A

No comments:

Post a Comment